01. Marvin Gaye - Ain't That Peculiar (Soulpersona Remix)
02. Trish Andrews - Cant Keep Running
03. Tony Momrelle feat. Maysa - We Had Searched For Heaven
04. Chris Standring feat Mica Paris - No Explanation
05. Raveena - Hypnosis
06. India Arie - Coulda Shoulda Woulda
07. C&C Music Factory - Share That Beat Of Love (Neil Thompson's ReGrooved Mix)
08. Shay Lia - Good Together
09. Miguel Migs feat Ledisi - Breakin' It Down (Original Album Version)
10. Cornell C.C. Carter - That Feelin'
11. Soulutions - Don't Judge A Book By It's Cover
12. Soulpersona feat Dennis Bettis & Marlon McClain - No Games
13. Sidibe - Complacent Love
14. Change - Hit or Miss (Album Version)
15. Papik feat Frankie Lovecchio - Can't Get Enough Of Your Love
16. Victor Haynes - 2nd Opinion
17. Charlie Wilson - I Still Have You (Soulpersona Remix)
18. Portia Monique - Smile
19. Raquel Rodriguez - Anniversary (Original Mix)
20. Brownstone - If You Love Me
21. Omar Wilson - The One
22. Quadron – Neverland
23. The Jones Girls - Nights Over Egypt
01 Leonard Cohen "Suzanne" 02 Buddy Guy "One Room Country Shack" 03 Syl Johnson "I'm Talking 'Bout Freedom" 04 Janis Joplin "Little Girl Blues" 05 Darondo "Didn't I" 06 José Feliciano "My World is Empty Without You" 07 Billie Holiday "I'm a Fool To Want You" 08 O.V. Wright "Let's Straighten It Out" 09 Aretha Franklin "Bridge Over Troubled Water" 10 B.B. King "The Thrill Is Gone" 11 Alabama Slim & Little Freddie King "The Mighty Flood" 12 Nina Simone "Don't Explain" 13 Nick Drake "River Man" 14 Big Maybelle "Blame It On Your Love"
01) Nils Frahm - You 00:00 02) Bugge Wesseltoft - El 03:05 03) Charles Mingus - Prayer For Passive Resistance 09:28 04) Sonny Rollins - When Your Lover Has Gone 17:50 05) Art Pepper - The Man I Love 23:59 06) Mark Isham & Art Lande - The Melancholy of Departure 28:03 07) Bugge Wesseltoft - Arena 34:26 08) Art Pepper - Winter Moon 41:26 09) Matthew Halsall - These Goodbyes 46:55 10) Tweak - Nocturne 49:39 11) Chris Coco - Back to nature 54:46 12) Mr Signout - Gather the Importants ft Wild Silences 58:59 This 68 minute set offers a selection of readily recognizable jazz varieties, from the work of sometimes austere northern Europeans like Nils Frahm, Jan Garbarek, and Bugge Wesseltoft to recognized American masters like Charles Mingus, Sonny Rollins, and Art Pepper. I was lucky enough to also rope in some new and newish releases from UK's brilliant Matthew Halsall; more from him on future shows. Entertaining us on the roll towards home are Chris Coco and Mr. Signout as the flow carries us into less standard, more lightly jazz-inflected territory, and honestly, the transition seems natural to me ... here's hoping you're open to the experience also. Speaking of which, there’s possibly a bit of prefiguring going on here, a subject in which perhaps Professor Ouija will eventually take an interest….
01) Jack DeJohnette/Matt Garrison/Ravi Coltrane - Soulful Ballad 00:00 02) Blank & Jones - Perfect Silence (Jazzed by Julian & Roman Wasserfuhr) 04:01 03) Chris Standring - Soul Express 09:38 04) Digby Jones - Pina Colada (Jazz Mix) 14:09 05) Nostalgia 77 - Quiet Dawn (Examples Of Twelves Remix) 19:55 06) Frank Morgan & Barry Harris - Embraceable You 25:43 07) Liz Story - My Romance 30:22 08) Dubble D ft Dianne Charlemagne - Rain 33:29 09) New Jazz Movement - Bus #217 38:40 10) Joshua Redman Quartet - Dialogue 42:31 11) Benjamin Devigne - Ocre 48:09 12) Nostalgia 77 - Eastwind (Instrumental) 54:00 13) Nils Petter Molvaer - Solid Ether II 60:18 14) Skalpel - Flying Officer 65:12 Elevation offers 70 minutes of jazz & jazz-influenced music, starting out mild & thoughtful but rising to a greater energy level over the course of the session, all with the purpose of taking you to a higher plane. The wind beneath your wings on this upward journey comes courtesy of Nostalgia 77, Liz Story, Joshua Redman, Digby Jones, Nils Petter Molvaer, the Jack DeJohnette/Matt Garrison/Ravi Coltrane Trio and more. A personal note about that Digby Jones track, which I first heard on 2001's Café del Mar Vol. 8 shortly after it was released, and which I think has held up remarkably well for a 'cocktail lounge' piece. Until that moment, most of the electronica I'd been consuming as part of my musical explorations was House, but because I'd gotten here via the 'world music' path, I was looking for something a little less 4/4, which I found in downtempo; Pina Colada was the door into a world that became my favorite place to be.